The broad objectives of the project are:
- To facilitate trade, transit and transport among five countries, viz. Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal and Myanmar(BBIN+M);
- Effective implementation of the BBIN MVA and such other enabling framework agreements and policy initiatives through evidence-based research, facilitate dialogue, advocacy and capacity building; and
- Estimate the potential net gains from the effective implementation of the MVA and its impact on socio-economic development.
The specific objectives of the projects are:
- To identify the corridor-specific impediments towards the implementation of MVA that will include:
- Study the corridors and their sub-links to identify the corridor-specific issues and hence solutions related to policy, regulation, protocols, procedures and infrasturcture; Efforts will be made to identify and explore new/alternate routes that can lead to more efficient (less time and cost) trade between the BBIN countries.
- Calculation of Time and Cost of trade procedures involved in getting transit/transhipment at major ports in the BBIN+M countries.
- Identify possible locations for Inland Container Depots along the identified routes with a view to promote off-border customs clearance. Given the understanding from examining on-border clearance, undertake an ex-ante analysis to compare the possible time and costs for on-border and off-border clearance. Experience from other parts of the world will be utilised to this end.
- Impact on local economic development, political and socio-economic realities at the grassroots level, including gender.
- To contribute towards effective implementation of transit protocols with an inclusive and participatory approach;
- Identify the technical and capacity building requirements to achieve effective implementation of transit protocols;
- Organize multi-level, multi-stakeholder advocacy dialogues and capacity building exercises for higher political buy-in for smooth implementation of BBIN MVA and other such transit arrangements among these countries. This will include:
- Understanding of transit among these countries, with emphasis on the BBIN MVA and other such transit arrangements, their protocols and other international conventions so as to create an enabling environment for their smooth implementation; and
- Sharing case studies and success stories from across the world towards facilitating transit and transport.